Looks like Blogger and Bloglines are not getting along again.....or it could just be the usual Blogger glitch. I thought there were far too few updates in my Bloglines queue. Then I noticed the dreaded red exclamation points. By clicking on the blogs sporting them, and then going directly to said blog I'm finding tons of postings on Blogger blogs that Bloglines is not picking up. Sigh. No wonder I was going through withdrawals.
In the extra time I wasn't spending reading all my favorite blogs, I actually have been working on some knitting. I am into the last repeat on the leg of my Embossed Leaves socks using the fabulous Sundara Fern. The colorway obscures the pattern a bit, but I love them anyway. I had to drop down to a size 1 Addi--the size 2 was way too big--but I haven't frogged the partial leg still on the 2.
I'm halfway through the 3rd repeat, so one more repeat (calls for 3.5) before I start the heel stuff. So far, I've used 13 gm of the 50 gm skein--love my digital scale.
Yesterday I abandoned the socks in favor of the Stora Dimun shawl. Theresa sent me a link for a cool Shawl Progress Calculator--thanks, Theresa. I must get the info into the spreadsheet so I can see if I will be short on yarn. (Although now that I look at the pattern and the spread sheet, I'm not sure that it will work for the shape the pattern is worked in. In addition, I can't find anywhere in the pattern where it actually says how many rows there are! Just work until there are x number of stitches and do something funky. The end of the pattern sort of scares me as it is very vague. Not good for a new shawl knitter like me.) Prior to my last posting about being worried about not having enough yarn for the shawl, I was working from a photocopy of the pattern so that my book won't get messed up. Well, I didn't make a copy of the photo of the shawl. Because of that I was under the assumption (you know what "they" say about assuming) that I was working the widest part of the shawl and that the pattern would just decrease down to the point. I thought I'd take a look at the actual pattern in the book yesterday, and lo and behold, I was wrong, way wrong. Yes, I am working the widest part of the pattern, but it doesn't run across the top of the shoulders, it runs down the side, across the squarish bottom, and up the other side. So I may be further along than I at first thought. Boy, I'm hoping.
Anyway, after figuring out that little piece of information (this is only my second shawl, give me a break if that's the way they all work) I picked up the actual knitting which hasn't seen the light of day since we arrived back home last Wednesday night. I worked happily across the first row--all knit thankfully, but there are no stitch counts for me to periodically check to make sure I'm still on track with the right number. Next row is like row 39 or something (had just run a lifeline in on row 38)--right side row. I get through about 3/4 of over 400 stitches and I realize something is off. Those little yo's and ktogs and ssks aren't landing in a nice pattern. The thing is so squished on my 40" circs that it's hard to see any of the pattern without risking losing stitches off either end. I stuck on some point protectors and spread out a section near the beginning of the row, where I knew I was right. Okay, the little triangle thingy I'm working on goes here.....scooted further down the row....still okay.....further down the row.....hmmm, not so much. Worked my way back to see the last place I had it right and stuck a colored paperclip on the last stitch of a correct repeat..... and proceeded to tink back. Reworked the section actually knitting two stitches together at one point to make the knit stitches land in the right place on the forming triangle. Got to the end of the row--short a stitch. Yeah, I know, I did knit those two together, but I had to to get the pattern to work out. * The last 3 stitches called for k2tog, k1, so all I did was just knit the 2 stitches, do the 8 stitch border and turn....and pray that I hadn't screwed the whole thing up. My lifeline was a joke, since I had run one in on a row that was wrong. I proceeded to knit through the next row, not knowing if what I did fixed the problem or messed it up more. Next odd row, I worked the pattern very slowly, holding each repeat up to the light to make sure the 7 knit stitches were falling in the right place on the triangle. They all seemed to do fine. The real test would be at the end of the row--would the stitches come out right. At first I thought I was shy a stitch, but one was hiding under the jump ring I'm using as a marker. Hurrah!!! I'm going to knit the next even row and run in a lifeline, for sure!
I'd show you a photo of what I've got so far with the shawl, but it's just a big blue-green blob crammed onto my circs, so you'll have to use your imagination.
*I think the origin of the problem was when I joined the yarn in the middle of a row--I know, I know, not a wise move, but when you're worried about running out of yarn, you use every little bit you can. I don't think I can do a spit splice on a wool/silk blend--didn't even try. Just used old and new together for a couple of stitches. I think the next time I came through after the join, I might have divided one of the double stitches into two single stitches--giving me too many in that one section--the place I needed to k2tog to get the pattern right was right above the joina couple rows below.